Saturday, August 10, 2013

Buckwheat Flax Seed Muffins

I have no reason to chase gluten-free food. It just happened that this muffins don't have glutinous flour in it. I think they are pretty close to the nutritionally ideal breakfast.

Blog's Category: Awesome Findings, Perfect Breakfast





Intro

It was about time to start using that pack of buckwheat flour which was roaming around my freezer for a while. Yes, I keep most of my grains in a freezer just because it prolongs their shelf life indefinitely thus expending my cooking flexibility indefinitely as well :)  

As a big fan and promoter of buckwheat in general, I'm really excited about this recipe. I wish I could grind my own flour out of buckwheat imported from Eastern Europe because buckwheat from there is much more superior that local one bought in Whole Foods type of stores. I had opportunity to compare crepes made of local, US produced buckwheat flour and flour ground from imported seeds (buckwheat is a seed!). Let me tell you - late was by far more flavorful. [Sigh...one more].

Well, I'm [busy, lazy, etc.] patriotic and making my muffins from buckwheat flour produced by brand well known here, in US, Red Mill. After all the final result is absolutely satisfactory!


What is it?

This is all good stuff in there - ground buckwheat and flax seeds, walnuts and raisins, coconut oil, almond milk, honey, greek yogurt and some eggs! No bad list of nutritious stuff, right?


Taste Description

Taste is smooth, mild, with interesting combination of flavor. Unusual buckwheat flavor is barely picking up through sophisticated combo of coconut, cinnamon, walnuts and other flavors.
These muffins are not too sweet, I would say, rather under-sweetened. Texture is nice - soft and dense at the same time. Raisins and walnuts bring pleasant break into the texture and burst with its own taste and texture.


How to Serve

These muffins can be garnished in different ways. I have made them:
- sprinkled with powdered sugar (after they cooled down)
- covered with black currant jam
- smudged with Middle Eastern fig jam (which is actually have some spices and sesame seeds in it).
All were good, but my folks especially liked those with a black currant jam.

Buckwheat Flax Seed Muffins

For about 12 large muffins:
  • 1 cup flax seeds, ground
  • 1.5 cup buckwheat flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
  • 1.5 cup almond milk
  • 3 tbs coconut oil, melted
  • 2 cups greek yogurt
  • 6 tbs honey
  • 1.5 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1.5 cup golden raisin

- In a large bowl, mix flax seed flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

- In a separate bowl, combine together egg yolks, melted coconut oil, yogurt and honey. Add this mix and almond milk to the dry mix you made in a previous step.

- Add walnuts and raisin to the batter, mix well.

- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff peaks.form. Then carefully fold them into batter just until incorporated.

- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake in a preheated to 370F oven until done. Use wooden toothpick to check - if it comes out dry - your muffins are ready. Enjoy!

Note

- If you wish, substitute:
almond milk with a regular milk;
coconut oil with a olive oil or melted butter;
greek yogurt with a regular yogurt or buttermilk;
honey with brown sugar;
walnuts with any other chopped nuts;
golden raisin with other dry fruits (chopped)
*******************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES
 
 
roughly chopped walnuts
 
 
it's a coconut oil
 
..and it's a coconut oil, melted
 
at the last moment I found out that I don't have honey this time... so I used brown sugar instead.
 
egg yolks, yogurt, brown sugar are mixed with melted coconut oil..
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love the convenience of using silicon baking ware. Deep inside I'm still not sure how safe they are so for now I own just silicon muffin cups.
 
no sticking whatsoever
 
non-stick mini-muffins baking sheet did good job for me too.
 

these mini-muffins are so cute

From the whole batch I've got 6 large muffins and 12 mini-muffins

I had couple spoons of batter left over so I just dropped them on a baking sheet. Resulting "cookies" I cut in half and spread them with Middle-Eastern spiced fig jam.

Mini-muffins, topped with black currant jam -yumm.

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm Rebecca from MyNaturalFamily.com. I shared a link to your recipe on my post http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/dessert-recipes/10-healthy-flax-seed-muffins-recipes/

    I want to make sure it's ok with you that I did so. Please let me know if you want me to remove your image.

    I would love if you could share a little love by sharing the post on your social media accounts. After all, in the end it will help you get more traffic too.

    I am also open to other collaboration ideas so please let me know if you have ideas of how we can help grow each other’s blogs.

    Get More Traffic

    In case you're not already a member of our sister site, InspiringCooks.com I would like to invite you to join it.

    I was frustrated with how much work it is to submit to food submission sites so I created my own site kind of like Food Gawker. The main difference is that you don't have to submit each recipe. All you need to do is fill out this form - http://inspiringcooks.com/submit-recipes/ and we will add your recipe images for you with a link to your site (no recipe on our site). We will also promote your content by pinning both directly from your site and from our site.

    Make More Money

    I make over six-figures on My Natural Family and I wrote a blog post all about how I do it. I think/hope there are some ideas in it that could help you make more money with your blog - http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/earn-six-figures-blog/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!